Minimalist thought #4: Minimalism vs Poverty

4:14 AM


"Are you going broke?" A close friend once joked. When I asked why, she said its because I wore the same outfit every time we hang out.

I understand why she would make that assumption. It's because I used to own a LOT of clothes. And she would always point out how I was donning a new outfit whenever we hang out.


Oh the irony! Because back then, despite appearances, I was truly broke. Okay, even worse than broke, I was in debt. But she never even noticed. 

The funny thing about minimalism is that, from an outsider's point of view, its often perceived as a deliberate practice of poverty. A decision to become poor like Mother Theresa or St. Francis of Assisi. And with that, it entails much sacrifice and suffering because there is an obvious lack.

Poverty = lack (Financial, Freedom, Peace)

In contrast, minimalism focuses on abundance. It's the realization that what we have is more than enough. 

Does it require suffering and sacrifice?

NO. It requires zero suffering and sacrifice. In fact, minimalism offers a cathartic relief from all the material anxiety that comes with living excessively.

So the question remains: Am I broke? 

The answer is: No. I am not broke. In fact, I've never been richer. Now, I have all three factors that defines being rich.

1. Money: Financial stability
2. Freedom: Having more time
3. Peace: Getting rid of emotional anxiety and stress

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe